Hotel Attacks

14 October 2017, Massive explosion demolishes 20 buildings in Mogadishu, including the Safari Hotel

On 14 October 2017, terrorists detonated at least one massive truck bomb – the New York Times says two truck bombs – in front of the Safari Hotel in Mogadishu, Somalia, killing 267 and wounding 300, reports NBC News and the Associated Press. The Independent says an ambulance driver in Mogadishu calculated that the death toll is over 300. The Voice of America reports 302 killed, and 429 wounded. These numbers are expected to rise. It is reportedly Somalia’s most deadly terror attack. It is not known what type of explosive was used, but the New York Times says that the attackers drove two bomb-laden trucks through multiple checkpoints and into the city where they detonated. No group has claimed responsibility, though al Shabaab is the main suspect, say Somali intelligence officials. Al Shabaab has waged a terrorist war against the government and … Continue reading

2 October 2017, Initial report – concert mass murderer used Mandalay Bay as shooting perch

Below is an initial report of the worst mass shooting in US history where the shooter used the Mandalay Bay Resort and Hotel as a firing position to attack the Route 91 country music concert. The facts in this case are fluid and subject to change. The attack On Sunday night, 1 October, at 10:00 pm, 64-year old Stephen Paddock opened fire on a crowd of 20,000 plus concertgoers from his perch on the 32d floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Hotel, reports the Express. The hotel is an MGM property. The current casualty rate is 58 killed and 515 wounded, says the Daily Mail. The gunman’s target was the Route 91 Harvest Festival, a three-day country music festival, held at the Las Vegas Village concert/entertainment venue located at the corner of Vegas Blvd and Mandalay Bay Road. Firing went on for 10 … Continue reading

4 June 2017, Update on Resorts World Manila attack

On 3 June, Resorts World Manila released comprehensive CCTV footage of the 2 June attack on its Maxims Hotel and attached casino. The resort’s Chief Security Officer, Armeen Gomez, narrated the footage. Watch the video, and read the associated article here. So far, the resort and police say 38 were killed, and as many as 70 were wounded. A synopsis of the attack is as follows: The gunman, identified as a large, Philippine-looking man, approached the hotel via taxi at 12:07 a.m., demonstrating no ill intent or weaponry. He kept his attack kit and weaponry inside his large black backpack. (Since posting, he has been identified as Jessie Carlos Javier, Philippine citizen, 42 years old, and with financial problems; read more about him here.) Once inside the hotel elevators, the gunman appeared to put on a mask. From there, he drew his M-4 carbine … Continue reading

1 June 2017 – Initial coverage of Manila resort attack

The Enquirer, a Philippines-based news outlet, reports that just after midnight on Thursday (Friday, 2 June, Manila Time), that either a single gunman, or a group of gunmen, attacked the Resorts World Manila complex in Newport City, a section of Manila. Initial casualty figures by The Manila Times are 25 wounded. Gunshots were heard on video posted on Channel News Asia, and smoke was coming from one of the main buildings. Reports said a man (or men) dressed in black and wearing masks assaulted the complex with firearms and set parts of a building on fire. Photos from The Sun indicate the attack might have included a car bomb. The complex is currently on lockdown, and first responders – medical, fire, and SWAT – are at the scene. The Daily News and The Sun both report that ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack. … Continue reading

7 May 2017, Miami Beach, Florida, USA

The Miami Herald reports that on 7 May at around 8:49 p.m., a gunman opened fire on a couple in the valet parking area of the Fontainebleau Miami Beach hotel. The presumed weapon was a handgun. Local 10 ABC News Miami reports that witnesses in the hotel say they heard five to seven shots. The male victim was hit multiple times, the female only once. Despite being wounded, both victims managed to retreat from the assailant and into the hotel where staff called the police and an ambulance. The victims were taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center where they were last reported in stable condition. The Fontainebleau is an opulent hotel described as sitting in the heart of “Millionaires’ Row” in Miami Beach. Scenes from several movies have been filmed there, including Goldfinger, Scarface, and The Bodyguard. It is also a … Continue reading

31 January 2017, Predlitz-Turrach, Austria – hotel hacked, guests NOT trapped in their rooms, but security upgraded, nonetheless

On 28 January, The Local, an Austrian news source, reported that cybercriminals had recently hacked into the Romantik Seehotel Jaegerwirt in Turrach. The attackers damaged the hotel’s electronic key system and also shut down all the hotel’s computers, which included the front desk, point of sale, and reservations systems. Initial press reports saying that hotel guests were locked in or out of their rooms have been retracted by one of the original reporting sources, and Cristoph Brandstaetter, manager of the hotel, told Motherboard, “It was just a normal cyber attack and no guests were locked in.” Brandstaetter did say, however, that they were unable to make electronic room keys for new guests. Because of this last issue, there is continued reporting suggesting that scores of guests, and not just new guests, were locked out of their rooms. (Interviews with hotel guests who were … Continue reading

14 January 2017, hotel attacks in Gondar and Bahir Dar, Ethiopia

Two hotel attacks in recent weeks are indicative of the increasing political violence happening in Ethiopia. It is a complex situation involving several ethnic and political issues that are spiraling out of control, making Ethiopia unstable. Civilians, both local and foreign, are in the crosshairs, as are hotels. The most recent hotel attack, says Geeska Afrika Online, happened on 10 January between 8:00-8:30 p.m. when terrorists threw a grenade into the Entasol Hotel in Gondar. Some reporting says the seat of the blast was the hotel bar, which was full of people watching a local soccer/football match on television. The explosion killed four and wounded as many as 30, reports Borkena. (Earlier reports said one killed and 19 wounded.) The U.S. Embassy suspended travel for its employees to Gondar as a result of the attack. The Entasol appears to be a roadside motel type establishment, touted … Continue reading

3 October 2016, Washington, DC

ABC news reports that just after 4:00 p.m. on 1 October, an unknown man spray-painted, “No justice,” and a red line/circle drawn through the word “peace,” and “Black lives matter – Van,” on either side of the 12th Street entrance to the Trump International Hotel in Washington, DC. The term “Van” was written in red. It is not exactly clear what this term meant. It might have been the vandal’s graffiti signature. The Trump hotel, on 12th and Pennsylvania, is the Old Post Office Pavilion. Mr. Trump’s real-estate company signed a 60-year lease for the property for the express purpose of converting it into a hotel. The vandal was videoed in broad daylight, and his actions were posted by the twitter account, @AngryBlackManDC, and multiple news outlets. He was a male wearing a yellow shirt, dark pants, white sneakers, and a white hat, … Continue reading

20-21 September, Charlotte, North Carolina

On the evenings of 20-21 September in Charlotte, North Carolina, political violence in the form of rioting, vandalism, intimidation, and assault impacted at least seven hotels in the city’s downtown business district – mostly the Trade and College streets area – reports The Charlotte Observer. The damage was significant enough for the Observer to say, “Uptown hotels spent Thursday repairing damage and reassuring guests following a violent night of protesting that cast their properties in an international spotlight.” The political violence resulted from a Black Lives Matter style protests over the 20 September police shooting of N.C. resident Keith Lamont Scott. Police assert Mr. Scott had a firearm on his person and would not relinquish it when they sought to detain him. This resulted resulted in the shooting, say authorities. Mr. Scott’s family insisted he had no firearm and say police murdered him … Continue reading

10 September 2016, update on the Southern View Hotel bombing, Pattani, Thailand

On 8 September, Thai authorities announced that 32-year old Hakeem Doloh, a Pattani native, had been linked to both the Southern View hotel bombing on 23 August, and the mid-south bombings between 10-14 August. Regarding the latter, Mr. Doloh was specifically linked to the 11 August firebombing of a Tesco Lotus store in Nakhon Si Thammarat, which is well outside the established insurgency zone. The charges against the suspect, reports The Nation, are as follows: “premeditated murder, attempted murder, terrorism, possession of an explosive without permission, detonating the bomb, and racketeering.” This revelation simply reinforces the Thailand threat warnings posted here and here by Muir Analytics. The insurgency is now attacking well beyond its traditional borders, and it is attacking civilian establishments, including hotels and tourist spots. More attacks against these type targets in Thailand’s mid-south and throughout the rest of Thailand, including … Continue reading