Monthly Archives: June 2017

22 June 2017, Resorts World Manila offers victims support in wake of 2 June active shooter attack – other brands usually abandon victims of violence

In the wake of the 2 June 2017 active shooter attack on the Resorts World Manila (RWM) facility – specifically, the Maxims Hotel and casino that killed 37 plus the gunman – RWM officials have made several pledges to compensate the families of the deceased and the wounded. On 2 June, RWM Chief Operating Officer Stephen Reilly said the company would offer the victims’ families “full support and assistance.” On 7 June, RWM president Kingson Sian made additional statements regarding educational support for the victims’ families. The combined extent of this support so far is as follows: $21,000 USD per deceased victim’s family (at least half has reportedly been paid out already) Funeral and burial assistance per deceased victim’s family $11,000 USD per injured victim Medical expenses for injured victims Education of the children of the deceased paid for up to college Job … Continue reading

21 June 2017, List of security/fire failures, Resorts World Manila attack (updated from 20 June)

Below is a list of security/fire failures regarding the 2 June 2017 active shooter assault on the Resorts World Manila (RWM) complex – specifically, the Maxims Hotel and the casino attached to it. These issues were identified by Philippine lawmakers,* RWM staff, the Manila Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP), and Muir Analytics. They are arranged by major category. This is by no means the final analysis, and hoteliers, security specialists, liabilities lawyers, and insurers are urged to continue to refine this list as more pertinent information becomes available. *Official hearings, Wednesday, 7 June 2017, held at NAIA-3, the Committee on Public Order and Safety, and the Committee on Games and Amusement. It should be noted that, despite the many failures listed here, RWM security did successfully evacuate over 12,000 guests through 13 exits during the turmoil. This demonstrates the guard force did have … Continue reading

4 June 2017, Update on Resorts World Manila attack

On 3 June, Resorts World Manila released comprehensive CCTV footage of the 2 June attack on its Maxims Hotel and casino. The resort’s Chief Security Officer, Armeen Gomez, narrated the footage. Watch the video and read the article here. So far, the resort and police say 38 were killed, and as many as 70 were wounded. A synopsis of the attack is as follows: The gunman, identified as a large, Philippine-looking man, approached the hotel via taxi at 12:07 a.m., demonstrating no ill intent or weaponry. He kept his attack kit and weaponry inside his large black backpack. (Since posting, he has been identified as Jessie Carlos Javier, Philippine citizen, 42 years old, and with financial problems; read more about him here.) Once inside the hotel elevators, the gunman appeared to put on a mask. From there, he drew his M-4 carbine (a short … Continue reading

1 June 2017 – Initial coverage of Manila resort attack

The Enquirer, a Philippines-based news outlet, reports that just after midnight on Thursday (Friday, 2 June, Manila Time), that either a single gunman or a group of gunmen attacked the Resorts World Manila complex in Newport City, a section of Manila. Initial casualty figures by The Manila Times are 25 wounded. Gunshots were heard on video posted on Channel News Asia, and smoke was coming from one of the main buildings. Reports said a man (or men) dressed in black and wearing masks assaulted the complex with firearms and set parts of a building on fire. Photos from The Sun indicate the attack might have included a car bomb. The complex is currently on lockdown, and first responders – medical, fire, and SWAT – are at the scene. The Daily News and The Sun both report that ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack. … Continue reading